Monday, March 10, 2008

Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri

When I first started reading, I thought this book was a novel, and I really liked the first chapter. Then I realized that it was a collection of short stories, and I was a bit disappointed, because I wanted to know more about the characters from the first story. My disappointment faded though, as all of the stories were equally captivating and interesting. I have a fascination with India and Indian culture, but I would have liked this book despite that. The themes are universal - mostly based on love, as well as family, culture, life experiences. Everyone can relate to these stories, but they might have special meaning to immigrants or those of Indian descent who are familiar with the particular details that are referenced in the stories.

Overall, I didn't want the stories to end. I think this collection fully deserved the Pulitzer Prize it won, and I am looking forward to reading The Namesake (I've already seen the moviea nd I really liked it.)

No comments: