Saturday, March 1, 2008

Love In The Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I started reading this book in January. At first I thought it was good. Then I started not looking forward to reading it because it was just soo hard to get through. But I felt like I should keep trying, after all it's very highly praised and beloved all over the world, by millions of people. I felt like something was wrong with me for not liking it. The writing was very flowery and descriptive, and I would find myself bored with all the details, just wanting to know what happened next. But I just read some other reviews of it on amazon.com and I was so happy to see that so many other people felt the same way! Now I feel justified in just giving up on it altogether. I don't mind reading something that is not an easy page-turner, if I am learning something from it, or at least enjoying it. But I just could not bring myself to get excited about this book, and even when it's the only thing laying around to read, I just didn't want to do it. So this is my official review: I am not going to finish it. I do want to hear how the story ends, but I just am not interested enough to keep reading.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I read this book and at first it was slow but I found it a very good book. I think you have to understand a bit about the culture to understand the writing. I love the culture. If you persist, you will find a beautiful story unfolds.

Jen E. said...

i don't blame you. i've not read this one, but there are some books that just don't resonate with oneself while reading. i've started a few and never finshed them and never plan to.. who says you HAVE to finish a book?! if you don't like it, you don't like it. good for you for calling it quits :)