Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What is the What -- Dave Eggers

I started reading this book on a plane two days ago, and although I haven't had much time to read (being on a business trip and all), I find myself daydreaming about getting back to this book pretty much constantly. I can't wait to finish it -- but wanted to go ahead and share my experience so far. There's a lot of "celebrity coverage" of the crisis in Darfur, or the genocide resulting from Sudanese civil war over the past decade. But this is my first encounter with a survivor's story, and it is incredibly moving.

Dave Eggers worked with Valentino Deng, a Sudanese refugee, to write a book that details his life from the age of 6, when his village was destroyed and his family killed. Valentino, along with thousands of other orphans who came to be known as the Lost Boys, walk for months, across deserts even, to reach refugee camps. They are attacked repeatedly by both rebels and government troops (both sides would rather kill children than risk having those children grow up and be able to fight for the opposing side), and some are even eaten by lions. Even reaching the refugee camp does not guarantee survival, as only a tiny percentage will ever be able to get assistance.

The book is eye-opening to be sure, but it isn't just a depressing story about how hopeless and terrible the situation in Sudan is. The real beauty is that despite the terrible things he experienced, Valentino still loves the country where he was born, and recalls many beautiful memories. Dave Eggers writes with a perfect balance of compassion and humor, and I can't put this book down...

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I can not wait to read this book. The documentary based on the same story of the Lost Boys is called God Grew Tired of Us. It's so touching and sweet and sad and funny and moving... it's hard to fathom what they have been through. Hurry up and finish this one so I can read it (: